EAST COAST ADVENTURE
“The Spirit of Mournes” Guided walk
Discover the rich history of the Mourne Mountain Smuggling trade and trails and how smugglers evaded the coast guard and revenue man using backpack ponies and high mountain passes.
We will take you on a journey back in time while walking one of the Mourne Mountains most famous trails, the Brandy Pad. On one of the many rest stops, we will take time to appreciate the spectacular panoramic views, tell tales from the smuggler times and enjoy a dram or two of some of the beautiful local whiskey produced a stone’s throw away.
Things to bring:
As this is a strenuous day in the mountains bringing suitable clothing and equipment is very important. Please ensure you have the following:
- Hat, gloves and neck scarf such as buff
- Sun hat and sun screen if appropriate
- Full waterproof outer clothing
- Plenty of layers with no cotton or jeans
- Hill walking specific shoes or boots that are well broken in (NOT new)
- Backpack with extra socks, lunch and snacks and at least 3l of water
- Some plaster and painkillers encase you need them
- Any medication you require
Minimum group size 8 people, maximum 15 people. Please contact us for larger group sizes
9am or 2pm
All year round
Trassey Car Park, Trassey Rd, Down, Newcastle BT33 0QA
Extreme weather conditions can affect this activity, please check with the centre the day before your experience.
All children must be accompanied by an adult unless part of an organised group.
Please let us know if there is anything we can do help ensure you can take part and will do our best, taking account of safety and risk assessing in advance any additional requirements you may have. The outdoors is for everyone so call us if you’re not too sure.
“The Spirit of Mournes” Booking